Thursday 19 April 2007

Getting Drunk

Another hectic day at work, I bought a bottle of wine to help me unwind. i am only going to have a glass though, don't want to get drunk.

Getting drunk, that is something I definitely should not do often. Do you remember that October night when I went to Mofe's birthday? There was so much alcohol that before you could say Jack Robinson, I was drunk.

Being drunk gives you a kind of clarity and confidence that sobriety cannot afford. At that moment, on that night, all I wanted to do was be in your arms. So I called a cab, gave the driver your address and sat back. My heart started to pound as we pulled into your street. Was I crazy? It was 4a.m, your parents were around! Your sister was around! What was I thinking?

It was too late to turn around, even if I wanted to. By the time I paid the cabbie, I only had £2 left in my purse. So I rang your phone. You answered on the second ring. "papa, are you awake?", I asked. "well, I am now, whats the matter baby?" you answered. My voiced seemed to have gone on holiday. I knew you would be livid. All my confidence fueled by pinot grigio melted away.

"Erm, erm, baby, don't be mad", I started. "What is wrong, just tell me", you replied, clearly worried. " "Look out of you window", i said. You looked, You hung up. I sat on the pavement. A minute later, you came up behind me and pulled me up. You placed a finger on my lips indicating that I should be quiet.

We walked up the stairs. The stairs seemed bent on giving the game away, creaking loudly with every step we took. When we got to your room, you locked the door, got into bed and faced the wall. I sighed. This was a mistake. I undressed, wore one of your tshirts and turned out the light. I got into the bed and turned away from you. Just as the silent tears began to fall, I felt your arm around me, and your mouth move close to my ear. You whispered "I love you baby, but sometimes you are silly, goodnight" I smiled through my tears and fell asleep.

The next morning as you dropped me off home, you told me off for taking unnecessary risks. I understood. but at that moment, on that night, I just had to be in your arms. I f I had known that your arms weren't always going to be mine for the taking, I would have cherished every moment I spent in them much more.

I should go to bed, I have been writing this letter for too long

Always
Me

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh yaa, u know what they say - better to have loved and lost, than not to have loved at all. But u guys seemed so in love, what could have happened?! Update soon pls

Idemili said...

Alright, I'm adding you to my blog roll. I'm sold.

God, how sad is this story?

Tinuke said...

Anon: I agree with that saying. I didn't use to. I will update as soon as I can

Idemili: Thanx for the love

Anonymous said...

dang... you have me in tears...

i too lost someone (he's muslim, i'm xtian) i once loved more than life itself...

Sunshine! said...

oh my days....i feel like crying...