Tuesday 18 December 2007

Watching Paint Dry

I have never understood why people compare boredom to "watching paint dry". I mean, seriously, who the hell watches paint dry? Haven't you heard of television or a book for that matter? Having said that, these last few days have been like watching paint dry for me! I really do not know what to do with this unexpected free time. I wake up at 8, hit the gym for 90 mins and then the rest of my day is empty.

This is entirely new territory for me, what should I do with this time. I could do what I am supposed to do; pack, but packing is worse than watching paint dry. Besides if its not the last minute, then its not T.

I know I am whingeing and some people are thinking "bitch, I would love a few days off" but that's different. When we take a few days off, we make plans, go on holiday, hibernate in the bedroom with our significant other etc. But every one I know is working so there is no one to play with me. boo hoo.

Ok, I am getting a grip.

On a totally random note, I was talking to a friend of mine who happens to work in HR in a large international firm, and we started talking about weird interview questions and answers. I interviewed grads for the first time a couple of weeks ago. There was supposed to be two of us but there was some accident at Liverpool st and my partner was delayed. Anyway so I was interviewing this final year Cambridge student. Nothing to write home about, he was average looking, etc. But when we started the interview I noticed that he had the most amazing green eyes and by the end of the interview I could not recall a single thing about the dude. Feeling guilty I put him through only to be told off because apparently he wasn't the most articulate fellow (putting it mildly).

Anyway, this friend of mine tells me about a trick question that they throw in, usually when the poor guy/girl is in the middle of a sentence. At the first assessment centre where they piloted the question, they were apparently so disappointed with the answers they got that they only put one person through.

Question: Would you sell your soul to us in exchange for this job.

Some people answered yes, why? Because they wanted the job really badly. They didn't get through

Some said no because they believe that integrity i important and some things are priceless. They didn't get very far either.

But that one guy, apparently, on hearing the question, put his hands behind his head and said "In a heart beat"

When asked why, he answered "Well to be honest I don't know what my soul is worth right now but working for you or indeed any corporate law firm it's value is bound to depreciate. Based on this assumption, I would have no choice but to take advantage of an offer that hedges the inevitable depreciation. They guy was obviously a sharp guy, and he was African (not sure what county though)!!!

That is without a doubt the weirdest question I think I have ever heard? Does anyone have a weird question that they were asked at an interview?

12 comments:

Black Man Comes said...

I have not read through, but it seems like u did the do. did u? maybe i should read and find out

Idemili said...

Teeheehee! Asewo black man. Anyway, I have updated o! And it's Dark Man so stop disturbing me!!!

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Wow, I can't believe they asked that question? I once got asked by a guy walking behind me if I have ever been bitten. It was not asked during an interview, but it is definitely the weirdest question or 'come on' that has ever come my way.

lol!

This is my first time here. Nice blog!

Orientatednaijababe said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR.....

Black Man Comes said...

Hehe
funny. Idemilli I am commenting on TKs site how am i disturbing you.

Unknown said...

congratulations on the job

omomummy said...

happy new yr......oya its tme to update...aba

Flowers and Poetry said...

I have read all your posts and I'm certain that to have been loved and to have given love the way you had, must be a truly amazing experience, capable of making life unbelievably worthwhile.

I love the way you capture life with words so beautiful either in spite of or because of their simplicity. Well done!

rethots said...

weird questions, hmmmm.... "What did you hear? Answer, "What you said." "Which is?" "Oops...."

Bubblegum Thug said...

lol, the guy's response in a heartbeat. That would have had me laughing.lol.

darkelcee said...

sweetheart when are u updating?

How is your new job and location?

Just missing you on blogville!

Ops, Happy new Year!

Enjoy

Tinuke said...

Darkelcee: Happy New Year to you too love, I am still settling in to the new job, but So far so good.

Flowers and Poetry: Thank you for the compliment.