Saturday 8 December 2007

Rundown

As promised, Here is a rundown of the last few weeks, I know I promised a long post but I am literally writing this and running out the door (e ma bi nu oh).

New job:

Let me start with my biggest news; I am moving to Saudi. It all started a few months ago when I was approached at a networking event, I didn't think anything of it as these things are always filled with totally drunk traders/bankers who have the tendency to (as we say) yarn dust. Anyway, this guy is telling me about some restructuring going on in a middle eastern trading house and that I should email him my cv. So I do. If it turned out that he was not serious then I haven't really lost anything.

Next thing I knew I was going for a meeting in the UAE. The actual post was in Saudi so we flew by private jet (me too I was tripped) to meet my new team. The ratio of men to women was appaling but I like a challenge. The offer was too good to refuse but I needed time to think. I love my present job and the people I work with but the offer was too good not to take the chance. I still haven't told anyone at work yet. The day I give notice is teh day I have to clear my desk and I guess I am not ready yet. I dont actually move until after christmas so I am bidding my time.

I am soooo nervous about this move, but excited as well. Wish me luck guys!

Conversation with My Father:

So I decided to go see my dad, it was a Wednesday so my mum was at bible study. As I went passed the stop on the tube that would have taken me to my house and away from confrontation, I braced myself. I had no idea what I was going to say or how I was going to start. Who knew when I woke up that morning that I would be doing this come evening. It began like any other day.

I was having lunch with a friend of mine, Blue eyes is like my best guy pal, and Brad Pitt aint got nothing on him, no lie! We went to university together and were both serious library geeks. He followed me, or was it me that followed him.... Anyway, we wound up working at the same bank and we try to have lunch at least twice a week. The thing with blue eyes is that he is a real geek, through and through. He walks around oblivious to the stares and the girls going gaga over him. But he’s cool peeps, even though for a while I thought he was gay. Don’t blame me oh! How many men do you know will spend a whole day shopping with a girl and still be enthusiastic enough at the end of it to suggest that we pop into Russell and Bromley “because they had a pair of shoes in the window that would go nicely with that dress?”

So we are having lunch and we start talking about the hideous alligator shoes one of our bosses was wearing that day. No doubt it cost hundreds of pounds but if the alligators new the monstrosity that they would be turned into..... anyway Luther vandross’s “dance with my father came on and we both listen to it in silence, that song always leaves me with mixed feelings, it a beautiful song but I still wish he hadn’t written it. Blue eyes sighs and says “this song reminds me that the last time I saw my dad, I was walking out on him in anger, It was over a stupid car, next thing I know mums on the phone telling me that he was gone” We talked for a little while longer then we went back to work.

As soon as I got to my desk, I picked up the phone and dialled the number from memory. He picked up after a few rings. So here I was on the tube a few stops away from my family home, telling myself that I could just get off at the next stop and go home. A few stops later I got off and started to walk to my parents house, the walk usually took like 8 mins in a sprint. I was walking slowly and for what seemed like one or two minutes, yet here I was at the front door. I reached for the bell.

My mum was at bible study, but then I knew that she would be. I sat on the sofa and watched TV, my dad was eating his dinner. It used to be a joke, when we could laugh with each other, that my dad could not eat his food in one sitting. He started to eat, the made a call, then checked football scores, then ate some more, then another call, it usually took him about an hour to finish eating. I smiled as I watched him answer a phone call while trying to swallow a mouth full of food. At last he was finished. He came and sat on the sofa opposite me and “princess, you have my attention”
I took a deep breath.

2 hours later, I called a cab and went home

Sitting in the cab I felt a little lighter, I got home, ran a bath and then curled up in bed. When I woke up, I text my dad “good morning”

I guess we have to start somewhere...

My Date with the Dentist:

Despite all the pleas to go to the dentist and all the tears from the pain, Tinuke still couldn't bring her self to make that trip.

My friend calls me and tries to arrange lunch, I tell her I am working through mine, she insists. I figured she had something imprtant to talk to me about so I went. Thats how they ambushed me and hauled my ass to the dentist. As it turns out, it was no where as bad as I remembered and the discomfort paled in comparison to what I had been going through just bcause I was a fraidy cat. So I think my fear of dentists is a thing of the past (fingers crossed)


Mr Brown:

A few days after I went for my interview, I get a call from Mr Brown. I was polite but curt and after establishing that his call was in no way work related, I told him I was busy.

"Oh, erm I didn't mean to take you away from your work. I will let you get back to it" he says

This new unsure of himself Mr Brown was a revelation, and it kind of threw me. I immediately felt bad for dismissing him..

"Okay, I guess I can spare 5 mins, what can I do for you"

5 minutes later, I had agreed to have dinner with this guy, I don't even know how that came about. I know how to handle an arrogant Mr Brown, but this polite, nervous one? Well that was a whole new ball game.

After work, I hailed a cab to the Royal Exchange and in the cab, I pulled out my mirrow to apply a fresh coat of lipgloss. "Hot date?" the cabbie asks.

"No, work dinner" I answered, though it was really none of his business, was I really trying to convince him or myself?

Iknow it feels like I am rushing through this story. I will blog a bit more indpeth in a little while. I am packing, interviewing grads, looming deadlines and it just feels like there just isnt enough hours in the day.

xoxo

12 comments:

bumight said...

I can't believe nobody is here yet!
neways, I've (obviously) been following (stalking?) your blog.
moving: I pray it works out for the best.
Dad: take it one step at a time
Dentists: I don't like them too, only because they start prodding your other teeth looking for any reason to make sure you come back over and over again
Mr Brown: ?????

omomummy said...

congrats on the new job.Hope it is was u wish it to be and more. so is there a budding romance btw u and mr brown. need more info on dat. yea i dread going to the dentist also.

BlackRose said...

eya! cograts on ur new job
bt saudi? isnt dat a bit scary

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

Mr Brown?????????
congrats on the new job babes, hope its all u wish for, glad uve taken d first step with ur dad, u have to start somewhere like u said. good luck babes.

Anonymous said...

l cant wait for the rest of the gist.God has a plan for your life.Take care

Ms. Catwalq said...

Tinu is about to blow up in 08. I am so looking forward to that

darkelcee said...

have fun in Saudi Arabia ok?

I am happy with the way things are with you dad *wink*,,,,, good girl .lol!

Enjoy yourself

Ops

merry christmas and a happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for being nosy..but what do you do exactly? And where do you work??

Mimi said...

ur moving to Saudi?????!! wow!! congratulations on the new job! and well done on taking the first step with popc..

cally-waffybabe said...

Just to wish you a lovely xmas and new year in advance girl. Congrats also on your new job. I hope you have a swell time and may all your dreams be fulfilled.

Hugs
xxx

Black Man Comes said...

Na wao. This Adventures of Mr Brown meets Tinuke's Journeys is brimming up to something nice. Ehmm, Mr Brown will be shocked to see you go, He likes him some Tinuke. But I think is moves are classic. The same ol "act all stupid then play nice to reveal a sweeter misunderstood side of you" drama thats been played over the years. I think I am jealous. All the best in Saudi and make you blog.

Lowla said...

I happened to bump into your blog.
Congrats on your job.... Did you move to Saudi yet? Please tell us how the experience is. I live and work in the UAE and hear a lot about Saudi... even though its kinda daunting to go there.. I must confess I'm a bit scared..

Nice blog by the way..