Monday 15 October 2007

Hello

Firstly, I want to thank you, who have patiently followed my story. You who have allowed me to write at my own pace. You who became so emotionally invested in my story that you matched my emotions tear for tear. Thank You.



I was going to write this as my last post, as a symbol of the closure that I finally had. I didn't try to get to know any of you simply because it would have been too hard, sharing my story with you was personal in itself. But as I write what was supposed to be a last post, I ask myself if I am losing out. There are many great people out here and it would be an honour to get to know you properly. So here goes, my first attempt to write in the present tense.



So about a month ago, I went for a meeting with a senior associate and I expected to be the only one there. I was running late, not the best impression to leave with your boss. I broke into a sprint. The heels that I wore only because I didn't expect to do much walking suddenly felt like a bad idea. As I arrived, I caught my boss's eye, he looked a little pissed. Walking a little closer, I see that he isn't alone. Double shit!



"Tinu, this is Michael Brown, he heads up X company in the UAE, he took time out from his busy schedule and you kept him waiting"



Since when do Md's want to meet junior associates? Why was he waiting for us and why wasn't I briefed before hand. I took a deep breath.



"Mr Brown, my apologies. London Underground is the most unreliable form of transport. I hope you haven't been waiting long."



As I finished my sentence, I looked directly at him, and I almost choked. I had met Mr Brown 2 months ago at a friend's birthday. He had tried to pick me up so crudely that I had insulted him, Infact thinking back, I think I may have thrown in an insult about his mum and the way she brought him up. See me see trouble, now I was going to have to do serious damage control. But before I could say anything



"Ah yes, I can't say that I am that familiar with your underground system but I have heard stories. At least you are hear now. My mother brought me up to be a gentleman and I graciously accept your apology."



I looked at my boss, he looked amused but not particularly surprised. I gritted my teeth. Sexism was one thing and I was prepared to fight for my place but this was ridiculous. As I began to wonder how long it would take before my boss excused himself....



"Look, I am going to have to leave you to it. Tinu, Mr Brown is very interested in doing business with us. And with that he left. I sighed.



"Before you start thinking, you being here has no effect on my decision to do business with your firm."



"I wouldn't presume to be so important Mr Brown, but if I am not here to secure an account, then what am I here for."



"Would you believe me if I said that I didnt even know you worked there but when I realised that you did, I just had to meet you"



The anger started to rise in my stomach as I thought of myself sprinting down City Road only to find that the "meeting" was in fact a ruse. I kept quiet.



"I just wanted to say that I am sorry, sorry for the way that I spoke to you that evening, I was a little intoxicated but that is no excuse."



I hadn't expected an apology, What was I supposed to say now? "Erm, Its okay, really."



"So can I take you out sometime?"



"I am in a relationship, but thank you for the offer"



"Firstly, you make it sound like I just offered you a job, secondly I have it on good authority that you are single and have been for a while"

"Well, Mr Brown, I had it on good authority that I was coming to a meeting, it appears that we have both been mis-informed" and with that, I gathered my things and got up to leave. He grabbed my hand, but not forcefully...

"You are here now stay for one drink"

2 bottles of Merlot later, I had told him my life history. He was a good listener, I told him about my parents, Seun, this blog. And then he tried to kiss me, I turned away. I couldn't believe it. What an asshole!! One minute he is calmly listening to me reiterate the darkest moments of my life and the next he is trying to shove his tongue down my throat.

I calmly stood up,packed my thing and left.

2 weeks later, my boss tells me that I have been put on that account.

"Do I have a choice?" I ask.

He looks me dead in the eye and says "I am sorry, what?" What he really meant was your in the big leagues now, with the big boys. If you can't play nice, don't play at all.

So I am stuck with this slimy snake, at least for a while. If he ever tries to touch me again, I will make sure I hit him where it hurts, right between the balls!!

It felt good to be able to vent, I will definitely be doing this again!

Seeing as I never formally introduced myself, Hi, My name is Tinuke and its nice to meet you all.

27 comments:

Idemili said...

Ooooh! You have a name! Great to meet you Tinu, I'm Idemili.

Looking forward to more present tense writing from you.

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you tinuke...
I'm Candy.. blog reader, sometimes blog commenter but not a blog owner...;-)
Thanks for letting "us" share in your life..
lookin' to readin from u
HUGZ

Waffarian said...

Glad you've decided to stay.

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

aaww babe, so glad to see u in present tense writing. great to meet u Tinu and oh welcome to blogsville. Im 36.

darkelcee said...

sweet heart, i am happy you are back on your feet and now in the present.
Well,i got your name in one of your post and have you on the list of the blogs i dig.

Welcome on board.

I am darkelcee!

Enjoy

Orientatednaijababe said...

Hello Tinuke, nice to finally meet u. I have been stalking ur page for awhile now... So happy to read about ur present life and most of all dat u decided to stay on blogville, if not that i am so busy with uni work i wud have thrown a party in your honour.

I wish u the best with Mr.Brown...be careful oh...don;t let the guy take advantage. And if he misbehaves, u know what to do...we got ur back!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Tinu so so nice to meet you.

LG said...

Hi Tinuke.
I'm your naighbour LittleGirlLost.
I hope you have a lovely stay in Blogeville.

mscroft said...

glad to hear you'll be staying Tinu. love to read more about you in present tense. thanks for sharing....

confused child said...

awwwwwwwww welcome back. ooooooooooohh i'm so excited to read more 4rm u n nice 2 meet u too dear.
I think u should give the guy a chance and see where things will go, he probably tried to kiss u cos u have sexy lips(i'm guessin)
and by d way I'm Confused Child.

Mimi said...

hi darling. good to have you back.

so good to have u back.

glad we're talking in present tense now :)

he is slimy!

cally-waffybabe said...

Welcome back Tinu. i don't know why i thought your name was c'est moi. I'm almost certain i got that info from here. Well, maybe i'm wrong. I'm going to alter your name now on my blogroll.

I look forward to reading more from you. When you are ready to start viewing other blogs, please let me know, as my blog is on invite only, so i can email you an invite.

Glad to have you back girl. Stay strong.

Miss Az`ure said...

...good stuff babes!!!
Glad u decided to stay.

N.I.M.M.O said...

Like every one else; Glad you decided to stay.

I'm N.I.M.M.O

Nonesuch said...

Well done Tinu. Glad you are doing ok in the present. welcome to blogville. Watch out for Mr Brown who knows....?

Tinuke said...

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, I look forward to getting to know you all.

Cheetarah said...

Hi Tinu,This is cheetarah and welcome ro the future,lol! Good on u for staying! And yeah next time kick that fool!

Allied said...

Hello Tinuke. i am glad you decided to stay. I learned so much from your story and i find myself thinking about you. Just wanted you to know you are in my prayers.

classybabe said...

Hi Tinu,am glad you decided to stay.

Anonymous said...

hi tinu!!!!
this symbolizes your growth!

Anonymous said...

welcome to blog ville dear girl..

Anonymous said...

I am happy u decided to stay on! Welcome and watch out for that Mister o !!! I look fwd to readn ur blog more often...I am Hope....

Thirty + said...

Hello Tinu, nice to meet you and sorry about Seun.

As per idiot guy, his head is no correct. Agbaya guy.

I am 30+, will drop by for Tea or Akamu from time to time

Ms. Catwalq said...

All I will say is that if this is fiction, you deserve the orange prize.
If this is fact, here's my hug. It's nice to meet you

Lighty 'neferet' Kopearl said...

hey tinuke. glad you stayed on with us. u getting on good?
about slimy snake, thats all he is, slimy snake.

by the way. it was a ride with u and seun. thx 4 letting us share ur emotions with u.

i didnt know u came back. welcome back.

TMinx said...

Very nice to meet you

SuPeRnOvA said...

Tinu, just found your blog and I'm hooked, please start writing again