Monday 28 May 2007

The Shit Hits The Fan Part 2

Papa, I am sorry I haven't written in a little while, but with practicing for the London to Paris bike ride, work and church, I was struggling to find time. Where did I stop? Oh I remember, I let you lead me back into the house. When my dad saw you, his eyes lit up. He was fond of you. I know it didn't really seem like he did, but he was always telling Toks that he needed to be more like you.

"Seun my boy, How are you? I have been meaning to call your dad. How is he"........My dad's voice trailed off as soon as he noticed that we were holding hands. The penny slowly dropped and he stared at us (for what seemed like ages) in disbelief. I swallowed the lump that had lodged itself in my throat. Silence. My mum came out of the kitchen and embraced you warmly. My dad had still not said a word.

Momsi noticed the tension and looked at my dad. "Toks, kilode? Is anything the matter?" she asked. I gulped. My dad clapped his hands together in disbelief. "This is who your daughter has brought to us. Or am I wrong? "He asked, directing his gaze at me. I wanted the ground to swallow me. "Yes dad" I answered. I looked at you, you were looking at the ground. I was so angry with you in that moment. I knew this was a bad idea. but you always felt that the two year jump start you had on me allowed you a certain wisdom. Sorry Papa, but that is bullshit. You should have listened to me. But you know what they say about spilt milk....

It was my mum that reacted first. she reached over and pulled my hand out of yours with such force that it hurt for days after. "My friend will you get serious. so this is who you want to marry abi? Did I do something to you that you would want to shame this family. eh? If I have wronged you Atinuke, let me know. A muslim. abi ori awon omode o da? I didn't kill my mother, you will not kill me." My dad was still silent. Its like he was waiting for you to say something. And then you did.

Aunty Bunmi, I know this situation is far from ideal, but I love your daughter and she loves me. We have weighed the pros and cons and we are prepared to fight the odds. We...

"Come on will you shut up" my dad roared, cutting you off mid sentence. You will marry my daughter over my dead body, now get out of my house" You hesitated, I could see that you didn't want to leave me to face the wrath. "Get out of my house" Popsi shouted again. I had never seen him so angry. You looked at me. I nodded that it was okay. There was nothing you could do. You would only make things worse. So you left. As I heard the door slam shut, I knew there would be hell to pay.

My dad turned to look at me. The venom in his eyes was frightening. I thought he was going to slap me, so I braced myself. "Tinuke, you are an adult so I will give you a choice. Either you stop seeing this boy or you stop living under my roof. The choice is yours" and with that he left the lounge. My mum was sitting on the sofa with her hand on her head. "Mummy, I began. "Tinuke, your father has said all that there is to say. I am very disappointed in you, but I am going to let your dad handle this matter" I burst into tears, she kissed her teeth and left the room.

I sat on the floor. What was I supposed to do. Leaving you was out of the question. Leaving home was another matter entirely. How could they make me choose. My head was a mess. I didn't know what to think. I heard the front door open, then Toks jnr came into the lounge. He looked at me but didn't say anything, he sat on the sofa. I was still crying. "Tinuke, he began, stop crying, it is not going to solve anything. You need to think logically. I just spoke to dad and he is angry. He will be calmer in the morning. For now, lay low and let things blow over. Why you decided to red flag the bull is beyond me, a softer more subtle approach would have been better." "Like what?" I asked. "Tinu, I don't know, but whats done is done. Bottom line is daddy can't chuck you out. He is just trying to scare you. You are the apple of his eye. He isn't going to just throw you away like that. Right

Wrong.

Always
Me

17 comments:

EssaBanty said...

This is nice, really nice i like the way you told (telling if more to come) the story (from you to him). Really nice and creative. Tell me more.
Oh thanks for the comment.

Essa

Life through rose-tinted glasses said...

hmmmm babe this is quite deep...so what happened after that pls come back quickly. thanks for stopping by my page i'm ok just been very busy..x

Idemili said...

God. It's funny how so many things our parents claim to tolerate are actually intolerable to them once it hits close to home, huh?

Tinuke said...

Essa: Thank you for stopping by. And you are welcome.

Life thru rose...: Good to see you oh. I tried to check out your blog.... Invitees only.

Ide: Honestly, parents are the biggest hypocrites in the world but then it is human nature. It is easier to be objective when you have nothing to lose.

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

Wao!!! Parents r truly hypocrites!!!

classybabe said...

The ever present case of parents and relationships

laspapi said...

I dont know how many fantastic unions have been broken up by parents (and school fellowships)

Life through rose-tinted glasses said...

ohhh babe i'm sorry i'll send u an invite if i can work it out....how u tho hope ur good...take care sweets

Waffarian said...

Followed the trail from Laspapi, I am glad I did, I am going back to read everything!

Waffarian said...

Oh lord! You got me crying from the first post till now! Oh dear, your words....Oh dear!

Tinuke said...

36 Inches: Tell me about it. They have good intentions, having said that;the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Classy babe:Parents.... I promised myself that if I ever had kids I would be a different kinda parent.

Laspapi: Maybe we are as much to blame as our parents? If we put our foot down are they going to kill us?

life thru rose....: Ok, I'll wait for the invite oh.

Waffarian: Welcome, I read your blog. Thanx for stopping by.

Mimi said...

from the lyrics of your amy winehouse that you put up..i am guessing its not like he passed away or something..anyway i guess we'll wait till you finish your story.

Refinedone said...

...like you said, if we put our foot down will they kill us?

No! they may not talk to you for maybe 6months to 2yrs or maybe till you have your first child....
but you are with the one you love.

Anonymous said...

i have been waiting for the follow up story form part 1 since like forever!as usual u delivered well..

Yeah so tanx for the interest in the blogville idol thing...would you like to sing?yes yes yes...let us know asap...

Tinuke said...

Mimi: I love that song

Refined One: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Pink Satin: No, no, no.... I will definitely be a fan but I can't hold a tune to save my life.

shhhh said...

na wa o. well some fathers just get mad pissed. you will b fine but it can b tough

doll (retired blogger) said...

some deep shit