Wednesday 2 May 2007

Our First Kiss

My mind took me back to my childhood and the day I met you. I was 12 and my mum made Toks and I accompany her to an old friend's house. We didn't want to come and we made a fuss, but you know my mum, she was having none of it.

When we got to your house, your mum introduced us to you and your younger sister, Aramide. We played sega mega drive with you while our mums finished catching up. You and Toks hit it off, you were the same age and liked the same things. The same couldn't be said for Aramide and I, I was a girly girl and she was (and still is ) a bit of a tom boy. You and Tokunbo became really good friends and you started coming round often.

Fast forward 2 years, I was 14, you were 16. Toks and you were planning to go to some party. There was hype about the party amongst my friends and I wanted to come too but Tokunbo refused. So I went above his head. My mum didn't see why I couldn't come too. Truth be told, I think Momsi still thought that parties consisted of "aunty give me cake" dresses and dancing chairs. We all piled into the car. You guys were annoyed but I didn't care. I was excited to be going to my first real party.

As soon as we got there you guys jabod me. My friends were there so it didn't really matter. Some guy asked me to dance and we danced for a while. You were either jealous or just over protective because you came over and broke us up. "easy, she is only a baby" you said as you pulled me away from him. The guy smiled and said that I didn't look like a baby. You told him I was your younger sister and led me away by my hand. I was annoyed. "What now?" I asked. "Do you want Tokunbo to beat the living daylights out of you ? You better behave yourself." you replied. I kissed my teeth. "Lets go and see if Sunday is here" you said, ignoring my obvious annoyance at being interrupted. Sunday was our weekend driver. He hadn't arrived.

"Do you have a girl friend?" I asked "Why?" you asked in return. "Well, Tokunbo has one, I was just wondering" I answered. "No, not yet" you replied. Silence....

"So, do you really think I am a baby?", I continued. "I just said that to save you from Toks, you are more mature than most of the girls in my class" you answered back. I suddenly felt self conscious. I think that was the first time I was aware of you as a guy, not just Tokunbo's friend.

"Erm, should we go and check for Sunday agian?" I asked. You nodded in reply. We stood up at the same, suddenly you leant in and kissed me on my mouth. Not an open mouth kiss, but a kiss non the less.

All the way home I was silent, even Tokunbo noticed. "what is wrong with you?" he asked. "Nothing" I replied, looking at you out of the corner of my eye. You avoided my gaze.

4 years passed before we talked about that kiss. You told me that you knew you liked me but I was Tokunbo's little sister. As time went on, you decided you more than liked me.I often wonder why it took us so long to get it together. I guess it was a good thing because we both got to experience what was out there.

Sometimes I look back and it feels like wasted time, time we could have spent together. But man proposes and God disposes.

Always
Me

7 comments:

Idemili said...

Wow. Such innocence...I'm touched. My own seems so sordid in comparison.

Anonymous said...

i know that`s right...but really, something about ur blog calls to me...it`s almost surreal. But I LOVE IT

Dolly said...

2nd time on your blog and I'm loving it

Great post

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

Waaaaaaooo!!!!! first time on ur blog and im just speechless!!!!! i dont even know how to comment or what exactly i want to say!!!!! emotional stuff men!!!!

chidi said...

awwwwwwwww....sweet. But why did you say that so much time was wasted? I dnt get it

Tinuke said...

Idemili: My brother wasn't too happy when he found out about that kiss... I'm not sure he would agree with you. lol.

Anon and Dolly: Thanx for the love.

36 inches..: I know, it is emotional/somewhat depressing. A friend of mine told me that she can't read my blog because it always dampens her mood. What can I do. I write it as it was.

Chidi: When I said we wasted time, I was referring to the time in between that kiss and when we finally got together.

Gracias

Sunshine! said...

awwwww