Wednesday 5 September 2007

Dear Seun

I have left this for as long as I possibly can. The letter that will ultimately be the hardest letter I will ever have to write. The date is burned in my heart. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was having lunch with Wale, the only one of my ex's that provoked (very irrational) feelings of jealousy in you. Wale was my first real boyfriend and the fact that he was the first man in my bed was very hard for you to swallow. That coupled with the fact that we never really broke up and I didn't have any "he's a bastard stories" to tell about him, made Wale one of your least favourite topics. But we were still friends, both in loving relationships and both very content.

It was your mother's 50th birthday and you had gone home for the celeberations. Wale called me and told me that he was going to propose to his girlfriend. I wasn't surprised. It had been a long time coming. "I need some advice, Can you come ring shopping with me?" He asked. I was flattered and a bit surprised. I was not sure his girl would appreciate a ring picked out by her partner's ex. I said yes though, I was bored and didn't really have anything to do. We arranged to meet up the next day for lunch.

You called later in the evening and during the conversation I told you I was going to help Wale pick out a ring. You fell silent for a minute and when I asked what the matter was...

"Tinu don't you think it is inappropriate, are you trying to tell me that he had no one else that he could have asked."

"Seun what is the issue here, that he still wants me? because proposing to his girlfriend is a sure fire way to pave the way for a romantic reconciliation between the two of us."

"Don't be stupid Tinuke, you know what I mean. Why you, "

"Because we are friends Papa for God sake and this conversation is really a waste of time. I agreed to help him and I will. "

"So my feelings don't come into this ...... Why do I bother? Do what you want. I don't have the energy to argue. My stomach feels like someone is poking it with hot needles and my girlfriend is going on a date with her ex. Goodnight."

And with that, you dropped the phone. I sighed. I hated when we argued. Then the anger of being made to feel guilty when I had nothing to feel guilty for started to grow. I shrugged of the niggling feeling in the back of my head and settled down to watch televison.

Till the day I die, I will forever be grateful to Gbovo. An hour later, Gbovo came round. He wanted to collect the keys to your car and in searching for the keys I found a little post it that said I love you. It made me smile because I remembered the day that you wrote it. Had Gbovo not called round, I would not have called you back, my determination to make my point seemed irrelevant somehow.

"Papa, you said your tummy was hurting," I said as you picked up, "Is it better?"

"No", you groaned, "I think it is something I ate. It happened the last time I was home. It'll pass." You replied.

"Kpele," I said. "Papa, I love you and I don't know why me seeing Wale makes you mad but If it upsets you this much then I will tell him I can't make it."

I could feel your smile through the phone.

"Baby go, I was being silly but I am over it. Besides his girl is pretty hot too."

"Idiot"

"Whatever."

"Goodnight, Feel Better."

"Tinu"

"Yeah?"

"I love you too."

"I know."

And so I came to be having lunch with my ex, he was in the middle of telling me about his extremely extravagant proposal ideas, and I was wondering whether it was a coincidence that the two most serious relationships I had had were with extremely romantic men. And then my world fell apart.

It started with a phone call. It was a Nigerian mobile number, I assumed it was you. It wasn't.

The person at the other end was crying. At that moment my heart stilled. I recognised the voice. It was your sister. Tears started to pour down my face even before she had said a word. I still don't know why I cried. I just did.

"Aramide, calm down. what is the matter. Is it Seun." But she kept crying. "Aramide please tell me what is wrong." and then the line went dead. I dialled straight back. In retrospect I wish I hadn't been in such a haste to ring back, to burst my happy little bubble.

"Hello?"

"Tinuke, Seun is dead. Seun is dead Seun is dead. Seun is dead"

I am not sure how many times she said it or if those words were echoing in my head but that's all I kept hearing. Until I heard a scream. It shook me out of my reverie, It was then I noticed Wale. Who screamed, was it me, Seun is dead Seun is dead.

Tinuke? Tinuke? I looked at Wale but the words were not coming from his lips. They were coming from my phone. Aramide. I had forgotten Aramide. Seun is dead Seun is dead

"Aramide?"

"Tinuke, his appendix burst, every one thought he had food poioning like last year. By the time we realised it was serious it was too late."

Too late for what?

To late to save you.

I don't remember much after that but I remember thinking that If I hadn't rang you back, the last words we said to each other would have been in anger. The last thing you said to me was that you love me.

I love you too Papa.

Now and Always
Me

56 comments:

Idemili said...

OMG!!!! OMG!!!!

Shit. Shit. Shit. Fuckery.

Oh God.

Oh God.

Idemili said...

Shit.

Unknown said...

bloody hell! damn i am in tears here.

Nneka's World said...

OMG!!! Damn!!
I did not expect that!!!! OMG!!!!!
I am close to tears.....

Mimi said...

:(

Anonymous said...

:(

was hoping he had met someone or something. sorry :(

omomummy said...

Holy SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
OMG OMG dat is sooooooooooo sad, i am just crying as i read dis. oh my goshhhhhhhhh

darkelcee said...

whao!!!!! i am speechless. Sweetheart........OMG! i am too sad to say anything.Only God can comfort and console you dear.

The experiences of an achiever....... said...

i'm so sorry! i sympathize...r u alright?..will u be writing about life after papa? again..i sympathize

Anonymous said...

I have neva loved the way u have and have never been loved the way he loved (although i hope to find true love someday) so I cant feel ur pain. Time is not a healer of pain but it teaches one how to handle it beta. Your post brought tears to my soul and am forced to ask the question WHY? and again who am I to question seun's maker. Tinuke you will be fine cos I know out of a mess and heart ache comes a blessing try ur best to see it as "although he is not with u physically he is watching u cos u have just gained urself an angel" the most important thing is he found love before dying and he is free now from all the troubles this world has to offer......it shall be well with ur soul...keep on being strong and I promise to always pray for u.

Anonymous said...

i wont preach to you . i knew for the way you wrote that seun was no more. i cried when i read this. you have touched so many people with this blog. i only hope you find love someday

naijabelle said...

wow! i don't think i've ever commented on your blog but i have being an avid reader. Gosh! i am in tears here this just broke my heart.Sorry is all i can say not that it will make you feel better but out of lack of anything better to say. Geez!

Anonymous said...

:(

Wow. It's good that you were able to have your last words to him be "I love you." Thank God that you called him back. I always try to make "peace" with my loved ones before the sun sets (even if I start up again the next day), cause you never know when you're gonna go.

So sorry.

Anonymous said...

I am at loss with words. This post had me in tears. i've read every single one of your posts but I never saw this coming. Oh my! I can't say I understand your pain, cos I dont. Take heart, my dear and may his soul rest in peace!

Anonymous said...

I am soooo sorry.I find this extremely heartwrenching.How are you?

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

Oh My God, i dont know what to say im so speechless, i cried all thru this!! Jesus, i dont even know..

Anonymous said...

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

this is tooo sad.
may his soul rest in peace,i pray u find love again...

Anonymous said...

shmuck!! u got me in tears...

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD!!

I DONT KNOW WAT BROUGHT ME BACK TO THIS BLOG AFTER SO LONG BUT I MUST SAY I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK.

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY! I REALLY WANT TO BELIEVE THIS IS NOT REAL

Anonymous said...

This is too sad. I am so sorry that he died. God be with you and comfort you.

Anonymous said...

extremely sad, my eyes are tearing up. What can i say? Accept my condolences perhaps? cos ican only imagine how fresh the pain is. I hope u've been able to deal with the hurt in some way, pele!!

Anonymous said...

i love my husband with all of my heart. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me, and as i read your blog, my heart and soul goes out to you.

my dear, I am sooooooooooooo sooooooooo sorry.. :(...


i hope this happened 10 years ago, not like it helps, but time i hear is a healer. Im soo sorry.

Bimbo

Anonymous said...

SO SORRY SO SORRY
GOD BE WITH YOU!!

Anonymous said...

...tears r welled up...and am sorry for ur loss..it teaches us never to take anything for granted!!!....Thank God for his life...He is in a better place..

Anonymous said...

I have now read ur whole blog from beginning to end..and am speechless at how a love so deep , sincere and genuine ended up like this...But God has a reason for eveerything and with all my looser experinces with Men I still and will always trust God...My heart goes out to u...and I only hope you will find love again...it might never be like this love u had..but still....May his sould rest in perfect peace~ AMEN...

Anonymous said...

OMG,
you post touched me.
and has taught me a lot.i hope it's getting better. i dont ever want to feel a pint of what u felt or are still feeling.
i hope u've healed.

I want to tell u that it gets better.....I hope it does


take care of u.

bee

TDVA said...

OMG!!!!

i never expected him to just...DIE! Oh gosh, i can imagine what u went thru, i can only imagine. wow! my deepest sympathy even as i hope u've moved past this with writing about it.

Anonymous said...

Dalm... This is hard to swallow, i can't read this again...

sorry sweetheart... God knows best...

Ms. Catwalq said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. Catwalq said...

This is so not fair...

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry..i hope ur ok :(

just know that God is by urside

:((

Anonymous said...

like im-a-babe said, pls let this not be real..:)

Thirty + said...

JESUS...ERM OH SO SORRY .....UUHMN...O GA O....

Waffarian said...

I was really hoping he did not die. Really hoping. I don't know what to say, you both lived and loved, he loved you so much... and I am so sorry you lost him the way you did. I hope one day the pain goes away and when you remember him, you will smile and not cry. I read this somewhere once ."Do not cry that he is no more buy rejoice that you knew him" (something like that), for once, it makes sense. You have had a once in a life time opportunity that many people only dream of..... YOU knew him, YOU of all people on earth, shared this wonderful love from him. I wish you the very best and I hope this blog has given you a place to let go of some of the pain. Good luck and God bless.

Miss Az`ure said...

You found what the world has been looking for,...Friendship and Love Together...You give us Hope with your kind of Love.

May God keep Your Seun, Your Love.
May God heal You too.

Amen!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!

confused child said...

o Lord! such a sad story, i am so sorry, i guess everything happens 4 a reason.

Anonymous said...

kabiyesiiiiii oooo...kilode???
kai kai,please i have to come back.i am in tears.
so this is how IT ended?
this is how IT ended..
no i am not going anywhere.
WHATTTTT???????????
I AM IN SHOCK.
PELE,i dont know what to say.
okay,ill go and come back and drop a comment again.

darkelcee said...

so what happened to the baby? i can feel you dear

Dolly said...

Eyah, this is so sad, May his soul rest in perfect peace

How are you?

Boorish Male said...

Oh! Man!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm crying.. i'm aching.. i'm hurting.
I cant even begin to imagine how u feel.. my eyes are teary , my vision blurred, my heart with you.
May God keep you
May his soul rest in peace.
Candy

sugar said...

this is the first blog av had to leave a comment on.av read every post and been following up on u and seun,silently hoping u guys wud make up someday.cant imagine he's no more.i know wat it is to love and be loved the way u did,i really do feel ur pain and pray u hurt less with every passing moment.u really are strong and dont know wer u got the strength to post this.may God comfort you and may seun rest in peace.amen

cally-waffybabe said...

What a tear jerker. My eyes are still welling up with tears.
Damn!!!

Ms.Diva said...

Tinuke,
I dont know you but I can seriously empathize with you. I broke up with my boyfriend because he was a different religion and we loved each other just the same way i read about seun. You inspie me....I pray God grants ur peace that surpasseth all understanding

Anonymous said...

I've just been sobbing like a complete nitwit at work.... Read your entire bog today and my sister, stay strong.... God will surely see you through this. My sincerest condolences

Sunshine! said...

God am in so much tears as i write this...why? why? why?...i hate to hear this and am in shambles....i am so sorry, why why?....God these tears keep rolling....i was hesitating, i wish i had stopped at the point where he said he loved you, may be i wudn't have found out

Oh God it feels like have known u all my life and i am very sorry for this..

You are strong babe!

May his soul rest in perfect peace

Sigh

flawsandall said...

so I was reading all your post..from the begining up tilll this post..and then this ..tears are streaming down my eyes..I never saw this coming..
I am so sorry

Anonymous said...

My heart feels like it's been tied to a boulder...heavy, sad and empty ! Tinuke, I have no words to say but to let you know how lucky you were to have found true love- love that was worth all the family wahala. You are strong and I pray through blogging you may find a little healing to your hurting heart. Seun loved you soooo much, it was so evident. Most guys would have thrown in the towel and called it a day but he stuck it out with you... "Tis better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all."

Unknown said...

OMG! I'm so sorry.....

Anonymous said...

I am so speechless.I can not imagine the pain u went through. You do have a strong heart,and am sure Seun is smiling at you,Mehn you your story got me teary,and made me appreciated the love i have more. I hope seun comes back to you in form of another soulmate. Can i ask you a few questions?
What happened to the pregnancy? Or was it a real false alarm? Did dis happen recently?

This is so hearbreaking!!!

zara (my alter ego) said...

...sob... God will give u the strength to find closure.. am a muslim and i sure hav been attracted to christian guys.. my aunty who was a muslim sister ended up marrying a christian guy! my grandparents raised hell on earth but at the end of the day.. they had to accept it and the wedding was celebrated with thier blessings in their house. i pray that in years to come... people would stop viewing religion as an issue.. and WE as the parents of tomorrow have to take the first stand.. and not make the same mistakes or have the same myopic views as our parents!...MAY SEUN'S SOUL REST IN PEACE... AMEN!

Anonymous said...

omg!i had been following this story mid last year..but somehow i stopped...all of a sudden today i remembered this blog..only to read this!girl,i am so sorry for your loss...Pele o!

doll (retired blogger) said...

o God..i actually have tears in my eeys

SuPeRnOvA said...

This totally breaks my heart